Friday, July 15, 2011

Diving fun in Roatán!

After spending 12 days chilling on the mainland, Laura and I finally bid adieu to my family and set off on out own to begin our great Central American Adventure. First stop: Roatán. Spectacular diving and snorkeling draws visitors from all around the world to the Bay Islands. (Islas de la Bahía) Their reefs are part of the second-largest barrier reef in the world after Australia's Great Barrier Reef. Roatán is the largest and best known of the Bay Islands. We stayed in the West End, the area where virtually all backpackers and divers come. Though it does not win the award for the most beautiful island I have visited (that award still goes to Fernando de Noronha) it really ranks up there. It's beaches are picture-postcard idyllic with clear warm turquoise water, colorful tropical fish and powdery white sand. And lying 50km off the coast of mainland Honduras, the island is a real diving mecca, surrounded by over 100km of living reef. What better placr to get my open water scuba certificaltion?!

I started off by taking the PADI eLearning course while still in Beunos Aires. This meant once we got here all I needed to complete were the confined water dives and 4 open water dives. After researching many dive shops in the West End, I finally went with Reef Gliders as a friend of mine had worked there last summer and gave them great reviews. I could not have been happier with my decision. Everyone at the shop was so helpful and it had a really homey feel.  I spent two full days having one-one training. By the third morning I was certified and ready to do my first official "fun dive" with Laura! Diving is such a cool experience. I was a little nervous at first, but once I was in the water it came so easily. It is a very strange sensation being able to break underwater! On my 5 dives I saw so many different tropical fish, eels, lobsters and turtles. I am really excited to continue diving and work with my buoyancy.

On our last day Laura and I decided to take a day off diving. We slept in (something I was unable to do all 3 days prior due to my training) and then had a nice 45 minute stroll to the West Bay (about 5km west of West End). It was a gorgeous walk along the beach! It was really hard to not jump in the clear water every few minutes. But I restrained myself and it was well worth it when we reached the gorgeous bay! Laura and I rented snorkel and fins and took Baby Beluga (her waterproof camera) out for his first swim. It was a fun afternoon and perfect way to round off our trip. After 6 days, we left Roatán this afternoon to return to La Ceiba. As we have a 9:40 flight tomorrow to Belize, we decided it would be cutting it short to take the ferry that arrives at 8:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment