Monday, August 22, 2011

Lago de Atitlán

 After Antigua we said farewell to Fred, Shaughnessy and Bryan we headed in to the highlands of Guatemala to stay in the town of San Pedro right on Lago de Atitlán. This area is a lake in a valley surrounded by 5 volcanoes. I do not know if the green was due to the fact that it is currently rainy season (and here we really started to feel it as it rained daily) or if it is always like this year round, but when we were there the area was absolutely beautiful!


Our first day, we spent walking around the lake from town to town with a Guatemalan guide. We hiked for about 7 hours through 4 towns and saw weaving tutorials, men farming coffee, corn, avocados, kids playing soccer, etc. It was really amazing to see the non-touristy side of Guatemala. It was also really cool walking around with a local because not only was he able to teach us about the towns we were visiting and show us all the different trades (weaving, farming, carpentry, etc) along the way, but he also gave us great insight into Guatemalan culture, politics, etc.... I spent a long time talking with him about the up coming elections as well as the infrastructure of the country as it stands. As none of the Ausie or South African ladies speaks a lick of Spanish I got to play translator most of day/weekend.



The next day Lia (who note is a personal trainer and insane about fitness), Chloe (who is also super-athlete), Ereni and I (who are both about the same level of active but not fanatic) decided to hike the Indian Nose - which is a 7 hour hike to the top of a mount where you can see views of many different volcanoes and the lake. Well the night before I started feeling a bit sick. I guess after a while your body does start to catch up with your partying/lack of sleep? I think I jinxed myself in the last blog when I said "You can always make up the sleep, but you can't make up the fun" because all of a sudden at dinner I hit a massive wall. I left the ladies to go to bed (at 8pm) and did not wake up until 11am the next day! Ereni joined Laura and Gail kayaking around the lake while I slept. When Lia and Chloe came back they both said it was one of the hardest things they had ever done! Ereni and I decided my cold was a blessing in disguise. :)

Feeling a little better I joined the girls for our last lunch as 6-some. Chloe and Gail left that afternoon for a brief stop in Roatan. The remaining four of us had the most amazing hour and a half hot stone massages and then had one last dinner together. The next day Laura and I bid the Ausie ladies goodbye as they headed home and we were off to Xela.

I would like to send a HUGE thank you to Lia and Ereni actually coming through with their promise from Croatia and changing their plans to meet up with us in Guatemala. I had SUCH an incredible time with the two of you amazing ladies. Miss your faces!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment