Saturday, March 5, 2016

Winter Holiday in Europe

As mentioned in my previous blog entry, Timmy was shooting a video for a memory card company KLEVV. Originally he wanted to shoot scenes from all of our travels, but as they needed the video by February, Cuba was the only country (in addition to scenes shot in California and South Africa) that would make the video. To add more variety in location, as well as additional cool shots, Timmy decided we should go to Europe to capture a Paris and a skiing scene. Clearly I wasn't about say no to a trip to Europe! 

Jan 13-16: Paris
Paris was broken into two segments. The first two days Timmy and I had a romantic Parisian holiday.We stayed in the most adorable boutique hotel called Hotel Le Lapin Blanc in the Saint Germain area. Having both been to Paris a few times before, we didn't feel obligated to do much. Rather we spent most of our days walking around the city in search of the best croque madame, pan au chocolat, French onion soup (which they simply call onion soup ha!), beef bourguignon, etc... Timmy also shot various time lapse shots of me walking around the streets of Paris; he is making a video of all our travels which I will share at a later point.

Over the weekend Timmy's school friend Liv and her boyfriend Dan met us for the shoot days. When they joined we moved to an Airbnb in the Montmartre area. I had never been to this part of Paris before so it was cool to check it out! We were centrally located right below the Sacre Coeur cathedral, cute little cafes, amazing restaurants and bars as well as walking distance to the Moulin Rouge and Boulevard de Clichy. I had heard so much about Liv so I was very excited to put a face to the name. She and Dan were a blast and added so much to our Paris trip! For two days we shot all day and then had incredible dinners and drinks at night. The Paris scenes were all done in time lapse format. Timmy would follow Liv and Dan around the main sights of Paris with his camera and I basically followed the three of them carrying the purses, bags, coats, etc. It was fun to see Timmy at work but I only wish it wasn't so cooooooold!!! 

Jan 17-18: Switzerland: Engelberg and Luzern
After Paris we flew to Switzerland (a new country for the list!). My friends Alex and Stacy have been many times as it is their favorite country. I can see why! Just the short drive we did from Zurich to Luzern and Engelberg covering gorgeous mountain passes. I am sure this place is quite beautiful in the spring or summer, but in January it honestly is a winter wonderland.

Our first stop was Engelberg where we met up with Martin, Timmy's friend Jenna's husband. Having grown up skiing he was the perfect person for the shoot. We stayed at the Berghotel Trübsee ski resort which is literally high on the slopes of Mount Titlis. We were there for two days, the first of which Timmy was shooting. As I was exhausted from all the traveling and late nights in Paris, I decided to be a ski bunny and lounge around the lodge while Timmy and Martin hit the snowy day in search of the perfect shots. The next day I would brave the slopes! 

I have been snowboarding a couple of times in the past but never skiing. Given that I am not a pro at the former (the last time I went was 10 years ago) I decided I'd give skiing a try. It was the perfect conditions for my first day. It had snowed the day before so there was a lot of fresh powder, but on this day it was beautiful and sunny. It was only -5°C (23°F) instead of the -20°C (-4°F) the day prior. And I thought I was cold in Paris! I hired a ski instructor for the first few hours of the day who showed me the basics on the bunny slopes. Timmy and I then went to slightly higher runs (still green) and spent a few hours going down them. By the end of our day I had gotten a hang of this skiing thing! Or so I thought... 

After we were done skiing we went up to the top of Mount Titlis which is 3,028 meters (9,934 feet) high. After walking around a bit, we grabbed a snack and a beer - you have to après-ski! 

We then headed to Luzern where we were having dinner with Jenna and Martin. Prior to going on our trip, Ginger had mentioned that we must try raclette. She briefly described it to me, explaining that there is a hot stone with which you melt cheese. Obviously I was sold, so I was really excited when Jenna had prepared raclette at their house. My expectations were far surpassed, honestly I think I died and went to cheese heaven eating this amazing food! As Ginger said it's basically melted cheese (though it's a special kind) that you pour over (a special kind of) potatoes and other veggies. Sounds simple but it is absolutely incredible!!!!

Jan 19-20: Chamonix
As amazing as Switzerland was, it is a very expensive country! So Timmy and I decided to head over to Chamonix, so I could discover a new place and we could ski for much cheaper. So... remember when I said I got the hang of skiing. HA! My experience in Chamonix was far from my perfect day in Engelberg. The first issue was that the slopes were much busier. In Engelberg I basically had the run to myself, here there were so many people whooshing past me. Timmy kept insisting that I did not need to worry about anyone behind me as it was their responsibility to get around me, but every time I heard someone approach I would freak out. The second issue was that the conditions of the slopes were not as great. There was no fresh snow so the slopes were somewhat icy or slushy. The last was that the beginning of the run was steeper than the ones I had mastered in Engelberg. So despite it not being that much harder as a whole, I had mental block telling me I could not do this. 


Timmy was so patient waiting with me as I had a few freak outs and mini internal-tantrums. I felt so bad holding him back as he too is somewhat of a beginner and wanted the practice. But he was too chivalrous to leave me alone. So basically after crying the whole way down the first run, I realized I could do it and managed to make it down a few more times before lunch. After lunch I was ready to do a couple more and call it a day. Timmy and I decided to try another run that looked similar to the one we had been on (from above). Well the fog had come in, and again I was freaked out by the unknown, so again I cried the whole way down. So yeah, still need to get the hang of skiing. I am determined to keep trying as I did very much enjoy it... when I wasn't crying. Luckily I bought a full set of ski clothes so I clearly have to take advantage of them and go again. 
Despite my mishaps on the slopes, I am so glad we came to Chamonix! Chamonix is one of the oldest ski resorts in France.  It was such a cute little town, walking around I felt as if i was on a movie set (Chalet Girl anyone?).  The streets were filled with ski shops, restaurants and little bakeries.  On our last night Timmy and I had a fabulous dinner of fondue and wine before grabbing a well deserved night cap at a local bar. A fabulous way to end a fabulous holiday!!

But it wasn't overly quite yet...We woke up early the next morning to go up to L'Aigulle du Midi at the top of Mont Blanc, the highest European mountain reaching 3,842 meters (12,605 feet) high. It was stunning, and yet the coldest I think I have ever been in my life. And you are talking to someone who has gone swimming in Antartica! After taking a few quick shots I was ready to go down. But this time it was me who played the good sport and waited in the cold for Timmy to capture some footage. What a team we make! 

While I had an incredible time in Europe I was ready to head back to summer in South Africa! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment