Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Funemployment

My last day at work was March 12th. I’m not going to lie being unemployed (by choice) is amazing. I had planned to start this blog back in March so I could write about all the mini adventures I was having, but the time flew by and here I am about to depart on my big trip and no blog. So here is a recap of what I did during my “funemployment”

March 19th – 28th: Visit to the “Fatherland” (Honduras)
My father passed away when I was two years old. My mom was always very good at keeping in touch with his family in Honduras. She would always call and send updates, photos, etc… When my mom passed away my two aunts did a great job at making sure our communication was not lost. They would often call to check-in and give me updates. They would always ask when I was going to visit (the last time we’d visited I was 5). This question was hard to answer as I had very little vacation time. Once I quit my job I knew the first thing I wanted to do was visit. I headed down for 10 days with my best friend Jessie. Basically the trip was spent doing two things: meeting family/friends and eating. My family is HUGE: 5 aunts/uncles and about 15+ cousins/second cousins, etc… Everyone was so so excited to have us in their homes. Which led to the eating. I have never eaten so much food in my life, but it was all so delicious that it was too hard to refuse! It was really an incredible experience. I am so happy that I got to connect with that side of my family and I look forward to visiting more in the future…. I definitely will not wait 21 years next time!

April 2nd – 6th: Hallie and my romantic road-trip
I had never driven down the CA coast line so for Hallie’s spring break we decided to have a roommate vacation. We had a lovely weekend visiting friends in San Francisco and then departed down the coast. We spent the first night in an adorable bed and breakfast in Carmel, drove down the coast stopping at Big Sur and Hearts Castle then into Solvang for some wine tasting.


April 16th – 18th: Coachella
Despite the fact that I came home completely exhausted this was such AH-MAZING weekend!! Recap – Friday: La Roux, Echo and the Bunnymen, LCD Sound System, Vampire Weekend and Jay Z (with Beyonce!!!). Saturday: Stated the day @WB Records Hospitality Suite, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, Gossip, XX, Coheed and Cambria, Hot Chip, MGMT, Muse, Devo and 944/AX after party. Sunday: Florence and the Machine, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Miike Snow, Spoon, Phoenix, Little Boots and Thom Yorke.

April 21st – 26th: Hawaii
What better excuse for a Hawaiian vacation than the Kokua Festival put on by Jack Johnson? The girls I went with had all lived together in Hawaii a few years back so the trip was packed full visiting their favorite beaches, food spots, bars, etc…

May 5th – 10th: Visiting the fam in AZ
I had a really great time visiting my cousins and their kids. It was a perfect week to go because I was able to celebrate my cousin Janine’s husband Mike’s birthday, and Mother’s Day. The kids are all getting so old: AB is about to turn 4, Scotty and Mady 3 and Logan 1. It’s so fun to play with them now because they all have so much personality.

May 11th – June 8th: Packing up and saying my good-byes
After spending two months traveling, I made myself devote the last month to organizing my life for my move. Packing all of my belongings was no easy feat, but eventually I put 38 boxes and 20 pieces of furniture into storage. Even though I was in LA/SD, my last month was still busy with good-bye dinner and drinks. It is really crazy how three months few by!

2 comments:

  1. Have fun and do everything i wouldn't do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To take action photos set your camera to take multiple shots as long as you hold down the shutter release. Then delete the bad ones. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete