Tuesday, June 8, 2010

My “10-Year Plan”

A few years ago I created a 10-year life plan. It was very basic: spend a few years in LA, live abroad in a Spanish speaking country for 2 years then return home to start a career and family. Living abroad was the key to this plan. I told everyone I knew/met about my plan because the more people who knew the more I would be held accountable. I didn’t want to be the girl who was all talk.

2008/2009 seemed to pass in a blink of an eye… all of a sudden it was January 2010 and I’d made no progress in my plan. I was comfortable in my life. I have great friends, go to fun events and enjoyed what I did at work. But I knew that if I didn’t follow through with my plan to move abroad I would always regret it. Life would only get more comfortable and as time passes it would only be harder to cut the strings. I decided now is the time to do it, so I quit my job – which was one of the most terrifying and exhilarating moments of my life – packed up all my belongings, and booked a ticket.

I wanted to move to a Spanish speaking country because while I am able to speak decent conversational Spanish, I want to be completely fluent. I decided on Buenos Aires, Argentina simply because my mom’s best friend Judy went there and told me I would love it. As of right now, I have no plans on where I will live or what I will do for a job. Getting down there is the first step... the rest will fall into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment