Saturday, July 3, 2010

Dangers & Annoyances

Every travel book has the section that warns against local risks. I pride myself on being a pretty savvy traveler- however sometimes bad things still happen. The Thursday we arrived in Fernando de Noronha was NOT my day. It all started when we landed and got our luggage. My backpack- though locked- arrived open with some items sticking out of an inside zipper pocket. At first I thought nothing of it assuming the main zipper had just popped open as the lock was still closed and the zipper was open from the middle. Glad to see it wasn't broken, I fixed the zipper and went on my way. As we were sitting on the airport waiting for our ride I realized my blackberry was in that inside pocket that had some clothes sticking out. I also know I had closed that pocket and there was nothing poking out...SHIT. That is what immediately went through my mind. Sure enough I checked and it had been stolen. Sometime between checking in at Recife and picking up in Fernando de Noronha someone had opened my bag and taken my phone. Already upset by that I went online to discover an email from my bank saying I had insufficient funds in my account. I signed on to discover numerous fraudulent withdrawals. I immediately called my bank and canceled my card. So for the time being Mads is my sugar mama until I get my new card. They say bad things happen in 3 so hopefully with Mads ankle we are done with any bad luck for the rest of the trip (knock on wood!)

No comments:

Post a Comment