Saturday, July 10, 2010

rainy season NO JOKE

** Salvador as told by Mads**

Salvador is a city that flourishes in their summer however seems to completely die in winter. It
rains constantly, which is not convenient for all their beautiful outdoor venues. Bars and clubs
seem to end earlier, and excursions to their best beaches become difficult with unpredictable
weather. The locals are forced to stay home or go
to the indoor mall. Luckily we kept it real by hanging out with my friend Carol, going to bars and sushi dinners. Through her we met Felipe, our Brit speaking Baiano, who gave us a taste of axe music and to m
y relief samba. After Brazil's upsetting loss to Holland, we drowned our sorrows at the yacht club with prosciutto and bruschetta and later dancing to forro.


Pelourinho is a short bus ride away where we visited on various occasions. The last time being the most successful because the rain let up and I got to have another chance meeting with my "boyfriend." He is a welcomer at one of the museums...see the pic that I suggested he take with me :-) Let's just call it love at first sight, smell and touch. Unfortunately love is fleeting and it didn't work out because I am shy/overthink everything hahaha.


So as not to piss off any of my friends from Bahia who are reading this blog post I will say in their defense that Salvador is an AMAZING city with beautiful coastlines. I visited in '07 right before Carnaval and the good vibes were palpable and it was extreme fun! All in all I was bummed that I didn't get to catch any amazing drumming for which Salvador is famous. Although Olodum is coming to Los Angeles and I highly recommend their show, I will have to find a way up there. It won't be the same as it would have been in Pelourinho which is where samba-reggae was born but that is the way it will have to be :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment