Saturday, May 14, 2011

Feliz Ano Novo- Réveillon 2011


Jen and Katie (Rosa) joined Buder and I for a fabulous week in Rio. We played tourist for a few days seeing Sugar Loaf and Christ, but spent the majority of the time sunning our bodies on the beach by day (Jen is a tanning addict) and partying by night.

This was honestly the best New Year's Eves I have ever had... and quite easily ranks high on the list for best night ever. The New Year's Eve party on Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro is reputed to be the largest of its kind in the world. Every December 31st "Réveillon" as it's called in Portuguese, draws more than two million people to the streets and sands of beautiful Copacabana Beach. It's a tradition to dress in white, complimented by colored accessories: green for health, red for romance, yellow for good fortune, etc.

Most amazing fireworks show!
We started the night at main "Brasil" stage located in front of the famous Copacabana Palace Hotel. We danced to the Samba bands until midnight when they set off a 20-minute firework show. For those of you who know me, you know I LOVE fireworks!!! It was honestly the most amazing thing ever. The entire 4km sky was filled with the best fireworks I have ever seen.

Happy New Years!
After the show everyone headed for the water, flowers in hand, to take part in an African ritual ceremony to honor deity Lemanja, the Goddess of Sea. While most people just jump in the water at midnight (jumping into 7 waves for good luck), my friends and I continued to dive in until we got too cold (around 5am). After midnight we wandered the beach with our new Carioca friends.

I want to thank my ladies for sharing such a special and amazing night with me!!

After New Year's Erika went home (tear) and the three of us took a mini relaxation vacay in Ilha Grande. It was gorgeous! Unfortunately it rained a lot and Rosa got quite sick. But that didn’t stop us from enjoying the sun when it was out. One day we took a speedboat taxi to another beach. Once it started raining Rosa decided she wanted to go back to the hotel to nap.

Jen and I proceeded to have a dance party in the middle of the ocean with our new friends (the drivers).  It was so great being reunited to my hooker (Jen)!

No comments:

Post a Comment