Monday, May 9, 2011

Kelsey

We were introduced by our mutual friend Erika and had been communicating regularly online for months before we ever met in person. When I walked into that restaurant back in August on my first day in Buenos Aires it didn’t feel like a first-time meeting, it felt like a catch-up lunch with an old friend. We never had an awkward getting to know you stage or a time where we needed to feel things out. From the start Kelsey and I were great friends.
Dinner my first week back in town
Now, this could be contributed to what Kelsey’s TEFL (Teaching English as a foreign language) friend Tim calls the living abroad friend necessity. This is where you desperately try to make friends because you are so far from home, so you find yourself essentially picking up the same-sex in bars, at parties, on the street, etc… He says it is much more awkward as a guy, because after having a decent conversation it can be weird for a dude to ask for another guy’s number. I totally get what he means. I have exchanged numbers with several people in hopes to widen my social network. Most of the time those “friendships” don’t really pan out.  It wasn’t like that with Kelsey.

At the Dave concert!
The minute I was back in Buenos Aires, we started hanging out on a regular basis. She was quite busy during the days teaching English, but at night we would find time to go out and be silly. In October I took Kelsey’s Dave Matthews cherry. The concert was one of the best Dave shows I have ever been to (sorry Ash!) and that is saying a lot as I have been to too many shows to count. The Argentine crowd reacted much differently than any crowd I have ever seen. They were so energetic the entire time, moshing during his sets and singing football chants in between songs. I think Dave really enjoyed it. At one point he just sat there with a big smile on his face and listened as the crowd chanted his name. Such a great introduction for Kelsey!

In December and January, we took some fun weekend trips to Iguazu Falls and Mendoza (posts to come). More than anything though, I think what Kelsey and I both enjoy most is eating and laughing. And there was always plenty of that to be had when the two of us were together!!

Celebrating Kelsey's last night in BsAs
Kelsey left to go back home to The States in early February. We celebrated her departure in style and then had a tearful parting. Kelsey lives in Phoenix, AZ, which is where my cousins live. I go there every Christmas and usually once during the summer (someplace I would not suggest visiting during the summer as it is HOT). As we parted we made plans to meet for drinks in December. A few weeks later I got the good news that my cousin Janine is pregnant again and will be having her baby in October. Meaning Kelsey and I will be reunited 2 months sooner!

No comments:

Post a Comment