Saturday, May 7, 2011

In good company

The day I left (October 3rd) did not start out so well. First of all, despite narrowing down all I own, and at the last minute removing several additional pounds, I still ended up with WAY too much luggage. Did I really need all of this stuff? In hindsight the answer is a big NO, but at the time if you would have asked me the answer would be 100% yes. I mean I was about to move abroad for at least a year. I needed the comforts of home with me. And as I mentioned I put a lot in storage, this was my weeded out stuff. Well, the cheap airfare down to Buenos Aires ($500 on Avianca) was about to get a lot more expensive after they tacked on an additional $500 in over baggage fees (ouch!). Ok as annoyed as I was I wasn’t going to let this bring me down.

Security on the other hand…I was starting to get anxious just with the amount of time I had been standing in line. Tried and restless by the time it was my turn I was not in a good mood. LAX had just implemented the machines that do full body scanners – you know the ones that essentially take nude photos of you. Just my luck, I was one of the few people in my line that was selected to go through one of these new machines.  Once I had been scanned, I then had to wait off to the side while a person in a booth read the scan. After what seemed like an eternity, the TSA woman received some information into her headpiece.  The following conversation ensued:
    -- TSA Woman: Excuse me ma’am but I am going to need to run my hands through your hair
    -- Me: Really? Ok. (Please note my hair at this point is shoulder length). She then runs her latex gloves through my hair creating the most uncomfortable friction imaginable. She then speaks into her headpiece again...
    -- TSA Woman: Uh huh.. okay... Ma'am, I’m going to need to do that one more time
    -- Me: You have got to be kidding me
    -- TSA Woman: Sorry, just following orders
After I am finally let go I run to the bathroom where I immediately pop a Xanax and try to calm myself down from the panic attack that was about to begin.

Our first night in BsAs at La Cabrera
Needless to say, I was freaking out sitting on the plane waiting for it to take off. Not only had I had the morning from hell, but also here I was moving to a city where I "knew" about 3 people. That was until Kristine sat down next to me. I immediately got excited when I heard her speak in English. Not wanting to come off too strong right away I waited a bit before I began a real conversation. Little did I know, Kristine is very similar to me and wouldn’t had found  it weird that some random girl wanted to become best friends with her just after speaking 5 words. Once we started, we talked for practically the entire 7 hours of our first leg from LAX to Bogota, Colombia. I learned that Kristine, along with three other girls, was on her way to Buenos Aires for a quarter abroad from Anderson (UCLA’s business school). During our layover I met the other lovely Anderson ladies: Nadia, Julie and Brittany.

Kristine and I checking out a speakeasy beer bar
It was such a relief to know 4 additional people right off the bat! During their three months in town I spent a lot of time with them exploring the city's best bars, restaurants, and shops. Kristine and I made it our goal to meet as many people and go to as many bars as possible. When feeling lazy, we would spend many a weekend on the couch watching movies. After three months attached at the hip it was sad to lose my partner in crime! But I am grateful for the time I had with Kristine, Nadia, Julie and Brit. It really helped me with my transition in Buenos Aires.  And what's even more exciting is that they all live in LA so we can pick up where we left off when I move home.

No comments:

Post a Comment