Tuesday, May 17, 2011

From Dinosaurs to Jesus

While Jay and I made sure to hit the typical tourist musts while he was in Buenos Aires (La Boca, Recoletta Cemetery, Plazas de Mayo, etc…) we also visited some rather off-kilter attractions. We accidentally stumbled onto the Dinosaurios exhibit in Palermo. I soon learned that Jay really likes dinosaurs so we decided to check it out.

This was a smaller version of the Walking with Dinosaurs tour that had gone through Southern California the past year. As it was not in an arena they did not have the ability to do all the special effects of walking, etc, however all the figures were on display and many were animated. I thought it was a very silly but fun exhibit.

A few days later we attended an even stranger attraction. The week prior my friend Mike, who was only in town for a month, told Leah, Jack and I that the number one thing that he had to see before he left Buenos Aires was the Jesus Park. He asked if any of us were interested in going the next week. As Jay was going to be in town, I sent him an email asking if that would be something he’d be interested in.

At first, he didn’t seem into it, he asked me if it was something one must see when coming to Buenos Aires? No… but I know Jay’s humor and I just assumed it was right up his alley. I was right, after looking into it Jay was in. Leah and Jack had other obligations the night we went, but Mike, Jay and I went and had quite an interesting experience.


Built in 2000 as the world’s first religiously themed amusement park, Tierra Santa, literally meaning “Holy Land”, is a theme park dedicated the life of Jesus Christ. I am not kidding. Boasting all manner of family friendly attractions the park has a variety of shows, live performances, restaurants and shopping opportunities. No worries the official tour stopped in the gift shop twice!

The parks attractions are divided into thirty-seven of the main events as told in The Bible – including animatronic Chuck-E-Cheese style birth of baby Jesus, last supper and creation scenes. The best (or most ridiculous?) part is the hourly resurrection of an 18-meter Christ accompanied by recorded Latin choir singing Hallelujah.

I personally spent most of time trying my best to stifle laughter, as it was clear that not everyone had come to be amused. In fact, we appeared to be the only ones who found humor in the situation. The other patrons seemed to view this as a serious theme park and were very interested in all that they were learning.  I found myself constantly asking, “Is this place for real?” The answer, while a bit outrageous, was a resounding: YES.

No comments:

Post a Comment